Job Title: Community Organizer
Organization: RI Jobs with Justice
Start Date: ASAP
Rhode Island Jobs with Justice (RI JwJ), a multi-issue permanent coalition of over 40 Rhode Island based unions, community organizations and faith based groups, is seeking a qualified candidate for Organizer.
RI Jobs with Justice is a worker’s rights, racial and economic justice coalition built on a vision that everyone in Rhode Island and across the world has the right to live and work in healthy, safe and eco-nomically sustainable communities where their human rights are respected. RI Jobs with Justice is a chartered local coalition of the National Jobs with Justice network.
RI Jobs with Justice operates on a direct action model of solidarity and reciprocity, running strategic campaigns in the common interest of our broad based membership and providing strategic support for member organization led campaigns through the organizing tools in the Jobs with Justice network. Campaigns include: right to organize and collective bargaining campaigns, unorganized worker’s rights campaigns, workplace justice, immigrant rights, global justice, housing justice, tax fairness and corporate accountability. State and local policy work is an important component of the work of RI Jobs with Justice. See http://rijwj.net for more information.
The Organizer will be responsible for:
• Campaign support: Under supervision of Executive Director, develop and implement campaign strategy and coordinate coalition campaign work;
• Internal organizing: Strengthen participation of member groups in coalition campaigns and activities; Specifically, encourage and develop participation and leadership of rank and file / grassroots activists from RI JwJ member organizations in campaign work both to participate in existing campaign work, and in the RI JwJ Solidarity Committee, a standing committee for grassroots activists from JwJ affiliate groups to work together to-wards common goals.
• Mobilization/Communication: Maintain and grow mobilization structure, including our Microsoft Access database, and coordinate coalition leaders, staff, and volunteers in mo-bilizing member groups and activist base for coalition actions and events. Maintain a bi-lingual print and web-based (e-mail, Facebook, web page, Twitter, etc.) communication strategy that includes working with the press and maintaining member and supporter communications.
• Fundraising: Work with coalition leadership, staff and volunteers to develop and im-plement grassroots fundraising activities, including maintenance of fundraising lists, di-rect mail, and fundraising events.
• Support and Supervision for Volunteers: With Executive Director, support and supervise volunteers and interns.
The Organizer will work under the supervision of the Executive Director.
Qualified Candidates will:
• Have a demonstrated commitment to economic and racial justice; have a working knowl-edge of labor, economic and social justice campaigns, and be committed to working within the purview of the RI JwJ Principles of Unity.
• Have experience in faith, student, community and/or labor organizing, including direct knowledge of right to organize campaigns and collective bargaining fights, and/or eco-nomic and/or community justice campaigns.
• Have excellent oral and written communication skills, preferably proficient in both Eng-lish and Spanish.
• Be detail-oriented, comfortable working under deadline and be able to complete projects in a thorough manner.
• Be committed to leadership development.
• Have experience managing volunteers, hosting events and participating in direct actions.
• Have experience with grassroots and/or foundation fundraising, or demonstrate the ca-pacity to do so.
• Be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and e-mail and have experience or the ability to learn to use Microsoft Access, Salsa Labs, and word press websites.
• Be able/willing to further develop their organizing, fundraising and administrative skills on the job and with mentorship and formal training.
Term of employment: We are seeking someone to start as soon as possible.
Hours: 20 hours per week, Flexible scheduling. Monday through Fridaygenerally, some week-end and frequent evening hours. Direct Supervisor: Executive Director Compensation: $1,300 to $1,500 per month commensurate with experience; health benefits in accordance with time worked.
RI JwJ is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, and LGBTQ people to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter torijobswithjustice, or by mail to:
RI Jobs with Justice
280 Broadway, Ste. 201
Providence, RI 02903
Position will remain open until filled. For more information, please contact Jesse Strecker at rijobswithjustice.