Job Title: Director of Finance and Operations
Organization: Providence Children’s Museum
Location: Providence RI
Start Date: immediate
Providence Children’s Museum is a private nonprofit [501c(3)] organization, which has served children and families since 1977. The Museum has a balanced operating budget of $2.2 million, 60% of which is earned through admission, membership, contracted services, program and consulting fees. Government grants account for approximately 15%, with the balance raised through private giving and investment income. A professional staff of 30, supported by volunteers and AmeriCorps members, serve over 160,000 Museum visitors a year and 10,000-plus through off-site outreach programs.
Title: Director of Finance and Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Finance and Operations Assistant, IT staff, Building Manager
The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for the Museum’s financial management and office support systems and building systems.
• Oversees financial record keeping, including supervising preparation of monthly balance sheets and income/expense reports and daily recording and deposit of receipts
• Leads annual operating budget preparation
• Manages financial reporting for grant-funded projects
• Supports auditors in preparing annual financial audit
• Ensures consistent adherence to GAAP and FASBE guidelines, internal controls and ledger transparency
• Monitors investment portfolio performance
• Maintains personnel records, manages payroll and monitors accruals
• Responsible for office systems including telephone and security
• Oversees IT department to ensure up-to-date information systems and equipment
• Supervises purchase of office supplies, office equipment and services
• Negotiates and maintains contracts with utility, insurance and other providers in best interests of the Museum
• Employs and monitors outside vendors to ensure optimal condition and performance of all mechanical, structural and operational building components
• Develops and monitors systems to streamline administrative procedures and conserve resources
• Provides staff support for Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
• Supervises, trains and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel
• Participates as a member of the staff leadership team in developing Museum plans and procedures
• Remains current on nonprofit management and accounting issues, and industry best practices.
Minimum five years nonprofit financial management experience required, including experience in nonprofit accounting procedures and software and payroll and benefits management; supervisory experience; bachelors or higher degree in business or equivalent experience; detail-oriented with strong problem-solving and communication skills.
How to Apply:
Direct letter of interest and qualifications to Executive Director at FinancePosition@ChildrenMuseum.org
Please attach PDFs of cover letter and resume; name the documents with your last name and title of document (e.g. SmithResume.pdf). No phone calls please. Review of applications begins April 23, 2014.
Providence Children’s Museum is an equal opportunity employer. Members of racial/ethnic minorities are encouraged to apply.