The Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation is looking for an experienced, well rounded, and enthusiastic person to fill the position of Curator of Education, Art and History, at the Stark Museum of Art in Orange, TX. The Curator of Education, Art and History, will lead the education department of the Stark Museum of Art and work closely with colleagues at the other Stark Cultural Venues, including The W.H. Stark House, the Frances Ann Lutcher Theater, and Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center, to provide innovative and engaging program offerings for students, families, adults and Stark Cultural Venue members. The Curator of Education directly supervises the FT assistant Curator of Education, who coordinates studio experiences and outreach, and a paid docent corps. A well qualified candidate will have strong education and programming experience at art and/or history and/or multi-disciplinary museum or informal learning setting with five to eight years of progressive leadership responsibility and a level of education appropriate to the position, preferably an advanced degree in Museum Studies, Education, Humanities, Public History or Art or related discipline.
Other qualifications include:
• Proven success with innovative approaches to significantly enhance a cultural organization’s impact and contribution to the community
• Proven understanding of interpretive and educational theory and knowledge of research principles protocol, techniques and standards
• Ability to devise and carry out educational and public programs, including preparation, training, facilitation and evaluation.
• Proven track record of successfully administering budgets, supervising staff and developing dynamic programs for varied audiences
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively and to communicate well with a wide range of people
• Skilled in planning, organization and establishing priorities
• Passion for the arts, humanities and their educational role in today’s world
• Highly motivated self starter with a hands-on work ethic, good judgment and mature thinking
• Have a positive, can-do attitude and a sense of humor.
Salary/Benefits: $45-59,000; benefits include medical, dental, life, and disability insurances, defined benefit retirement plan and 403(b), paid vacation and sick leave.
Application process: To apply, please send cover letter, resume, three references and a one-page statement outlining your art & humanities education philosophy to email@example.com. Please put Curator of Education, Art and History in subject line.